[ltp] SuSE Pro 10.0

Wed, 26 Oct 2005 01:53:41 +0200

Hi,

> I've installed SuSE Linux 10.0 Evaluation (with Java and a few other
> non-free packages) on my R50e (Mobile Celeron). Fan control and CPU
> frequency scaling did not work (fan runs all the time). Seems that
> powersaved does not use the /proc/acpi/ or /proc/acpi/ibm folder
> correctly. I didn't try to remove powersaved and use cpufreqd and acpid
> events instead. Did anyone try this? Any suggestions how I could make it
> work?

i'm in the process of getting things to work in SUSE 10.

So far i found that powersaved doesn't use anything at all. ;-) Ok,
sreiously, powersaved uses
1) acpid to forward events only
2) /usr/lib/powersaved/scripts which is kind of equivalent to
/etc/acpi/actions
3) /etc/sysconfig/powersave/ which holds some config files that tell
powersaved how to deal with certain events

1) means that if you do things like intended, acpid does nothing but
forward events to powersaved, which rules out all of the standard acpid
mechanisms

2) means you can edit the scripts to use things in /proc/acpi/ibm/ . A
standard script for ThinkPads is not provided, but you will find scripts
for SUSE 9.2 or 9.3, that can easily be updated to meet the
specifications for SUSE 10 (read the powersaved documentation in
/usr/share/packages/powersaved/ and compare the example scripts provided ).

3) means that you can create your own ThinkPad specific script and
configure powersaved to use it on certain events.

I'm having a lot of trouble with it, though. First of all, the ac and
battery modules of the SUSE 10 kernel interfere somehow with he ibm-acpi
module. This is solved by making sure that they get loaded before
ibm-acpi. Still, something seems to interfere. ibm-acpi works for me
most of the time on bootup, but about 1 minute after the (GNOME) desktop
is up and running, no key events are triggered anymore. I doubt that
powersaved has anything to do with that, since acpid doesn't even get
the events. ibm-acpi seems to kind of hang or some other task is locking
itself onto the keyboard and traps all keys. This impression arose
mostly because of the fact that the same happens to /dev/nvram and tpb.
tpb runs fine, but nothing is triggered.

I suspect some deamon like GNOMEs hald-addon-acpi or some KDE daemon
(even when running the GNOME desktop, SUSE still loads some basic KDE
daemons) to interfere.

Any ideas very much appreciated.

André.