[ltp] SOT: Linux friendly MP3 player

Clark Williams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 11:40:24 -0500

--=-dIQpi8XlUzzMsFMcxf23

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 12:20 -0400, Matt Graham wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 October 2005 11:37, after a long battle with technology,=20
> Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> > I am looking for a Linux friendly portable MP3 player.  Cost is a
> > consideration but cheap and unreliable is not an option.
>=20
> iRiver makes some decent mp3 players, and their players that don't act=20
> as USB Mass Storage devices can be made to work with the userspace=20
> ifp-line program, which has an mc backend.  I'm happy with my iPod=20
> mini.  With gtkpod, practically all iPods work really well, so you=20
> could pick up a 1G iPod Shuffle for $129+tax/shipping and have fun with=20
> that.  HTH,
>=20

I've had a couple of Neuros systems (20GB and 80GB) as well as a couple
of iRiver players and I have to say that the best mp3 player I've had to
date is...my 30GB iPod. My FC4 T41 mounts the iPod as an HFS+ USB drive
and gtkpod works wonderfully.=20

If you don't want to pop for the iPod, I'd get one of the flash-based
iRivers. I still use mine on occasion.

Clark

--=20
Clark Williams <williams@redhat.com>