[ltp] SOT: Linux friendly MP3 player

David Tansey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:27:07 -0400

I have an iaudio g3 and I like it. It has 2gb of storage (the model I
have at least,) an FM tuner, and a voice recorder (that is _very_ good.
and you can adjust the quality of the wav/mp3.) It is powered by one AA
battery and lasts me a long time between charges (I'd guess over forty
hours -- I know because I work the graveyard shift at a bookstore and
listen to audio books that I encode to ogg for most of my shift everyday
and I don't think I even replace it once a week.)

I got it because it acts as a mass storage device, so it works happily
on any operating system -- it just shows up as an external USB drive and
you copy the ogg/mp3s/whatever-else-it-supports to the "music"
directory.

If you get it I have something to tell you -- I never read the manual
and I regret it. It took me forever to figure out that if you hold down
the little dial for a couple seconds it jumps into the navigation mode
and you can create playlists fairly easily (though I keep my different
albums in different directories so it is pretty easy for me to find my
mind. it would be harder if I just had files, I guess.)

my 0.02

-David