[ltp] SOT: Linux friendly MP3 player

Sean Dague linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:07:04 -0400

--xHFwDpU9dbj6ez1V

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 10:37:11AM -0500, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> I am looking for a Linux friendly portable MP3 player.  Cost is a
> consideration but cheap and unreliable is not an option.  It's
> predominate use will be to listen to podcasts, webcasts, etc. on
> technical subjects.  I'm hoping that I'll get out and
> walk/run/exercise more if I can keep feeding my information greed at
> the same time.

The iRiver H340 is has been really rock solid since I got it over the
summer.  It has a 40 GB HD, does MP3 and OGG, and is a USB2 mass storage
device.  It is file browser based, though there is some Linux code to
generate the metadata db which lets you do genre/artist based browsing as
well.

It also displays text files and pictures on it's little color screen, which
is kind of neat. :)

I tried the Neuros, but got a bad unit with some firmware issues, so
eventually just returned it.  The iRiver has been rock solid every since I
owned it.

	-Sean

--=20

--xHFwDpU9dbj6ez1V