[ltp] Re: SOT: Linux friendly MP3 player

Eric Kjeldergaard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 17:52:22 +0900

On 10/27/05, Jeffrey L. Taylor <linux-tp@austinblues.dyndns.org> wrote:
> I am looking for a Linux friendly portable MP3 player.  Cost is a
> consideration but cheap and unreliable is not an option.  It's
> predominate use will be to listen to podcasts, webcasts, etc. on
> technical subjects.  I'm hoping that I'll get out and
> walk/run/exercise more if I can keep feeding my information greed at
> the same time.

I suppose I just as well chip in.  I (and my wife) have been very
happy with our Rio Unite 130.  It plays MP3, WAV, OGG, and (haven't
tried this one) ASF.  It's about the dimensions of a 5-pack gum.  It's
available up to 2GB.  The 1GB models I've seen around for about 150USD
new.  It acts as a umass driver and has the usb hookup built-in (one
of my requirements at the time).  No silly cables to mess with.  It
also charges it's built-in battery via USB.  I've not yet run it 'til
dead, but have gotten 16 hours of play on a charge.  It records via
built-in mic or line-in or via the built-in radio.  Good luck finding
what you seek,

Eric

--
If I write a signature, my emails will appear more personalised.