[ltp] SOT: Linux friendly MP3 player

Sean Dague linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 09:38:31 -0400

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 09:25:49AM +0200, Andy Schnaendy wrote:
> Hi.
>=20
> Sean Dague schrieb:
> >The iRiver H340 is has been really rock solid since I got it over the
> >summer.=20
>=20
> I can confirm this, it's a great device.
>=20
> >It has a 40 GB HD, does MP3 and OGG, and is a USB2 mass storage
> >device.  It is file browser based, though there is some Linux code to
> >generate the metadata db which lets you do genre/artist based browsing as
> >well.
>=20
> This sounds interesting, haven't found that yet. Could you post (or=20
> mail) a link, please? Thanks.

I'm using the older iRipDB code (googling for it shows it is mildly defunct,
but works for me).  It appears the code is superceded by:
http://www.fataltourist.com/iripdb/, though I think I got it from the
original source.  It doesn't specifically say that it would work with the
H3xx players, but I took a chance that iRiver kept using the same format,
and I was right. :)

> >It also displays text files and pictures on it's little color screen, wh=
ich
> >is kind of neat.  :)=20
>=20
> Another nice feature of the H340 is that it can act as USB-host (OTG),=20
> so you can connect a digicam and transfer your data to the hd on the=20
> player. Very useful on long journeys where you don't want to take a=20
> laptop with you and take more pictures than you have SD-cards, ... for.=
=20
> ;-) Not to forget the 12-14 hours of playtime (charge either via USB or=
=20
> power cord). Plays WMA and ASF as well. Of course it's kind of heavy=20
> with 200g.

Interesting, do you have instructions for how you are pulling this off?  I
hadn't realized this was possible, and I'd be very interested in getting
this to work!

	-Sean

--=20

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j