[ltp] SOT: Linux friendly MP3 player

Andy Schnaendy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 00:30:09 +0200

Thanks for the link, Sean. Will check this out sometime as soon as I
have some time to my hands and a good backup. ;-)

JP Renaud wrote:
> I think that the USB host feature is not available worldwide. I seem to
> remember about US users complaining because this feature was only
> available on European/Asian H3x0. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You're on the right track, I got mine in Germany. This is intriguing: My
two USB-ports are labeled "USB2.0 device" and "USB1.1 Host". When
plugging any USB mass storage device into the latter (and with a bit of
luck), it'll be recognized as a slave device by the H340. Doesn't work
with "multiple devices" yet (such as multiple card readers with
different internal devices /dev/sda for SD, /dev/sdb for CF, ...), the
H340 only recognizes the first one (/dev/sda) with the current firmware
(1.28).

The American version seems to have it's two USB ports labeled "USB1.1
media" and "USB2.0 data", where the first one is for copying DRM
protected stuff, if I understand the manuals correctly. Don't know if
they have different hardware for Europe and US, seems more like a
firmware issue to me. Might want to give the firmware on iriver's UK
site a try and see if it works for you. Why does the word "backup"
suddenly come to my mind?

Sorry, in search of a link I just saw they explicitely write it's NOT
compatible, but who knows if this comment isn't just there for legal
reasons?

Ciao
Andy

PS: Isn't this another sick example of "good and really useful features"
vs. "DRM"??? *SCNR*
PPS: (assuming I understood the American manual correctly and drew the
correct conclusions, of course) ;-)