[ltp] hdaps in official kernel 2.6.14 - many questions

Alejandro Bonilla Beeche linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 30 Oct 2005 12:14:11 -0700

Nils wrote:

>Hi,
>
>it's really nice to find hdaps in kernel 2.6.14, but what it does ?
>- you can use the nice applications hdaps-gl and hdaps-pivot (you'll see that
>it's really working!!!)
>- but, I can't find information about parking the head of the hd if my laptop
>is falling to ground ? Does anybody know something about that ? Is it in the
>kernel modul ? Do I need a user space daemon ? Where can I find such a
>daemon ?
>
>regards,
>nils

Jens Axboe which is the maintainer for most of these IDE and Libata
interfaces has said that he will implement the support soon. We have
sent patches to give the support for head parking but you know, there is
people in the kernel that if it's not the way in their head they want
something, then _they_ decide the support won't go into mainline.

We did all we can, now we have to wait for it to get included, dunno when!

.Alejandro