[ltp] FC4 on 770z TP

M. Leo Cooper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 23:40:22 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 22:56 -0700, M. Leo Cooper wrote:
> > I decided to try to try a test install of FC4 on a 770z.
>
> > The graphic install doesn't work -- freezes with "white screen."
> > Text install worked, but . . .
> > at next bootup got the "white screen of death" again.
>
> Basically, X is hosed in the default install of FC4.  X is doubly hosed
> if you're unfortunate enough to try installing it on a machine with a
> Trident card (like the 770Z).  You can get into single user mode by
> specifying "single" on the boot line, then you can type telinit 3 to get
> into runlevel 3.  (There's a simpler way to do this, but it escapes me
> at the moment.)  Once you get into a console, update x.org with yum and
> things SHOULD work, at least if the changelog on the last x.org update
> is saying what I think it does.

Yeah, I'll try boot: single.

If I can get a text console, then maybe just copying over the
/etc/X11/xorg.conf from an FC3 install might work.

I'll also change the default runlevel in /etc/inittab to 3. Man, I hate
autobooting into GDM.

Thanks.

And, BTW, what the heck is wrong with the Fedora team that things have
gotten so badly screwed up?