[ltp] Re: External TFT with higher resolution on a IBM T40

Kris Steenhaut linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:25:59 +0200

Ben Pfaff schreef:

>Kris Steenhaut <kris.steenhaut@hccnet.nl> writes:
>

>>The onboard video o the TP40 had a max of 1024x768, the TP40p had
>>1280x1024 and costed therefore a 1000 euro more.
>>

>This seems unlikely.  My T30 has a 1400x1050 TFT panel and
>therefore the internal video supports that resolution.  It seems
>unlikely that the T40's internal video would only support
>1024x768.

to compare T30 & T40 = is to compare apples and oranges.

Have a look here (while it still is there):

http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=ibm&lndocid=MIGR-58185
<http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=ibm&lndocid=MIGR-58185>

There were all kinds of T40 and T40p and they were distinguished by a
type number. Mine is a T40 2373 for instance, meaning the onboard video is:

1024x768 resolution 32MB ATI Mobility RADEON 7500

And as you also can see there even was a slimmer T40, one with onboard:

1024x768 resolution 16MB ATI Mobility RADEON

So, to begin with the owner of a T40 should check and know exactly which
T40 he had purchased.
Assuming we have to deal with a 32 Mb onboard.

Specs are telling if > 1024*768 only "panning mode" is supported. Short
history, "panning mode is something you don't want to have.

Now, if you have activated in the bios _and_ the TP lCD _and_ an
external VGA, you'll always end in "panning mode" when higher than 1024*768.

What you can do is, in the bios, set the laptop to external VGA only.
Then after reboot you'll have no video at the T40 but proper 1280*960
for instance at an attached CRT monitor.

As I don't have an external LCD, I haven't checked/couldn't check how it
works with that kind of monitors.

--
Groeten uit Gent,

   Kris