[ltp] Problem with ACPI Standby on G41

Thu, 1 Sep 2005 15:37:49 -0700

> >but also i thought that this driver has no effect on going into
> >standby/suspend modes.  it only adds support for Fn keys, ability to set
> >temp thresholds for fans, and some other niceties.  no?
> >
> Your guess is probably better than mine.

> >I just read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/power/video.txt entitled "Video
> >issues with S3 resume".  It states "S3 has absolutely no chance of working
> >with SMP/HT. Be sure it to turn it off before testing (swsusp should work
> >ok, OTOH)."  Is it possible to turn off HT on a running kernel prior to
> >suspend?  I don't think so.  Also, running Windows it is possible to
> >Suspend and resume, so at least technically it is feasable.  I guess now I
> >will focus on swsusp.
> >
> That saves me trying S3.  I wonder if it is feasible to set the system
> in single processor mode while on battery, by tinkering with
> laptop-mode?  It isn't really an issue when running on the desktop, but
> it would be very nice to have when moving from power point to power point.
>
> Hopefully swsusp2 will stabilise soon.  There's a 2.2 release coming up.

Just a final status update - with the 2.6.13 kernel and using in-kernel
swsusp the machine seems to go into software suspend mode smoothly.
When it wakes up it seems to also be waking up okay but then at the last
second the screen just goes blank and the machine is totally
unresponsive.  Not even ctrl-alt-del, in the hope that just the screen
is blank, has any effect.

I will give swsusp2 another shot I guess with 2.2.  But the last time I
tried it it left a bad taste in my mouth.  On a faulty resume it
apparently trashed my filesystem so hard that I had to run xfs_repair
afterwards
and ended up with a ton of disconnected inodes and eventually had to
completely re-install as the system became highly unstable.  The only
other time I've ever had a filesystem trashed really hard like that from
a non-mechanical issue was a very long time ago when I changed major
kernel versions and forgot to copy the System.map into /boot   IMHO
that's a really bad sign.