[ltp] Re: 560 recommendations? [Actually, a 240 now!]

Fri, 02 Sep 2005 01:13:19 +0100

Chris Schumann wrote:
>>From: Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
>>Subject: [ltp] OT: 560 recommendations?
>

>>I'm looking to buy a cheap (on ebay) thinkpad for portable use.
>>The spec needn't be amazing (eg 800x600, 250MHz, 4GB, 128MB), but it
>>does need to be as light as possible. I'm hoping for less than $100, and
>>< 2kg.

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. In the end, I bought a 240 for
£80. hopefully, this will work :-).
Spec: 10.4" LCD, 6GB, PII,300, 192MB RAM, 1.5kg

I did also consider the 570, and an X20, but could find neither on ebay
for sane prices. However, I do appear to be winning the bidding for a
560 at £9.99 :-)

The challenges:

1)Install Linux without *any* bootable device (no floppy; no CDROM; no
internal ethernet; can't etherboot via PCMCIA; I rather doubt that the
USB port will allow booting on a year 2000 era machine.)
There is a demo (i.e. unlicensed) version of W2k installed, so I am
hoping that this is how:
http://marc.herbert.free.fr/linux/win2linstall.html

2)Getting it online with WiFi etc.
  i)Does anyone know whether the 240 PCMCIA slot is the old-fashioned
16bit cardbus or the newer variety?
  ii)Is it even possible to buy a single PCMCIA card with both WiFi and
10/100 ethernet?

Thanks once again for all your help,

Best wishes,

Richard