[ltp] battery problem titannotebook.com

David Smith linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 2 Sep 2005 09:28:34 -0500 (CDT)

Im still having a problem with this "new" battery from titannotebook.com,
anyone else bought batteries from them for their thinkpad?

>From day one, every time the battery is cycled the maximum capacity
diminishes. The strange thing is, if i keep running the machine past the
0% point, it still runs. As the battery capacity diminishes, the time the
machine can run while at 0% gets longer. Seems to me the battery cells are
fine but the microcontroller is out of whack.

I've tried the rundown many times and all it does is further diminish the
charge capacity. As well I seem to get a strange behavior;
Run the battery rundown until battery is dead.
Plug in laptop, while off, and let charge.
Laptop shows solid green light, but when I turn the machine on it still
reads 0%. It them begins to charge again if plugged into the charger,
until full.

So, it seems to only charge up to the dead point, and then it will
continue the charge once the machine has been turned on. What the heck is
this?

I have an IBM battery, despite its 180 cycles and 75% original capacity it
seems to work fine.