[ltp] Re: 560 recommendations? [Actually, a 240 now!]

Javier (a.k.a AlBundy) linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 2 Sep 2005 18:14:41 +0200

On 9/2/05, Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>=20
> Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. In the end, I bought a 240 for
> =A380. hopefully, this will work :-).
> Spec: 10.4" LCD, 6GB, PII,300, 192MB RAM, 1.5kg
[...]
> The challenges:
>=20
> 1)Install Linux without *any* bootable device (no floppy; no CDROM; no
> internal ethernet; can't etherboot via PCMCIA; I rather doubt that the
> USB port will allow booting on a year 2000 era machine.)
> There is a demo (i.e. unlicensed) version of W2k installed, so I am
> hoping that this is how:
> http://marc.herbert.free.fr/linux/win2linstall.html

If hard disk from the 240 is a standard 2.5" HDD, there is another
way: get an 2.5" to 3.5" HDD Adapter, and make installation on a
desktop.

Adapter is a very simple tool (example photo:=20
http://www.elx.com.au/item/MF325H). One side is a standard 40-pin IDE
adapter plus a 4-pin molex connector (only 2 wires used: +5V and GND).
Other side is a 44-pin notebook ATA connector.

Plug 44-pin side into your 2.5" hard disk conector.=20
Join molex connector with a free molex from the destop power supply.
Connect 40-pin from adapter to a 40-pin IDE flat cable of the desktop.