[ltp] Wifi on R52 with Ubuntu Hoary

Steven J. Owens linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 2 Sep 2005 17:43:56 -0400

On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 12:43:29PM +0200, Paul RIVIER wrote:
> it is pure software issue. Nothing to do with thinkpads, neither the wifi :)
> Try to configure network through the ubuntu/gnome "networking"
> application, and to understand each part of it :
> - interfaces
> - DNS
> - Gateway <- here is the solution
> - location (optional)

     I'm dealing with the same issue; so far, I've basically just been
using ifup/ifdown to disable/enable the right network connection.

     I installed the ubuntu-universe package "whereami", which is
supposed to help resolve this by disabling/enabling connections
according to various cues (which you customize in a script in
/etc/whereami).  However, note that whereami does not apt-get remove
cleanly (leaves entries in the ifup/ifdown hook scripts).  I've
entered a bug about this in the ubuntu-universe bugzilla, maybe I
should track down the original package source and let them know.

     As to how well whereami works, I can't really say, because I'd
ugpraded kernel at about the same time and saw flaky wireless behavior
(disappearing wireless card, thoguh it's built-in with my t43p).  The
problem was that I needed to adjust the kernel modules to match the
new kernels (which, in ubuntu, you do by simply using apt-get to
reinstall the linux-image package).  Since I fixed that, it's seemed
to work reasonably well.

--
Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com