[ltp] External TFT with higher resolution on a IBM T40

Konstantin Filtschew linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 3 Sep 2005 23:06:13 +0200

------=_Part_9546_16528418.1125781573446

hi,

the dual desktop solution was not the best for xfce, because it has
problems to safe the configuration of the panel for the both screens.

My System: IBM T40 2373-8cg with a radeon 7500 32MB(not shared).
My build in LCD resolution: 1024x768
My external TFT resolution: 1280x1024

What I try to achieve:

I want to use my nice new TFT with the resolution 1280x1024 and only the
external TFT, doesn't matter what resolution is on the LCD of the
laptop, because it is closed.

I can restart xorg for this, I need only the same desktop only on LCD of
the laptop. After a restart of the xorg and choosing an other config the
same desktop only on the external TFT, not more.

This solution is similar to the solution of windows. If you plugin your
external TFT and close your notebook, windows recognizes, that there is
an externel display and switches to this with the proper (higher)
resolution. If you open your notebook windows switches back to the lower
resolution on the LCD and the external TFT is switched off.

I need no Xinerama or clone mode, the only thing I want is to use the
external TFT at it's highest resolution without the laptop LCD.
And a possibility to use the internal LCD on the lower resolution on the
travel.

Thx for your help

Konstantin

On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 21:00 -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:
> On 8/31/05, Konstantin Filtschew <konstantin.filtschew@gmail.com> wrote:
> > hello,
> >=20
> > I have a small problem to solve. The LCD of my T40 2373-8cg has only a
> > small resolution 1024x768.
> >=20
> > Now I bought a nice TFT with a higher resolution: 1280x1024.
> >=20
> > I tried several tricks, but I can't change the resolution higher then
> > 1024x768. The problem is that, I try to change the resolution on the
> > Laptop-LCD, but I have to do it on the external VGA.
> >=20
> > Any Idea how to do this. I need to know how to control the resolution o=
> > the external VGA.
> >=20
>=20
> what are you trying to acheive?  Dualhead?  Clone mode with dissimilar
> modes?  The t40 has a radeon I think, so any of these can be
> accomplished with the radeon driver.  However, bear in mind, that xorg
> does not currenly support dynamic output control, so you get what you
> get when you start x.  if you want to change your config, you'll have
> to restart x (for the most part).
>=20
> Alex
>=20
> > Thx for your help
> >=20
> > Konstantin Filtschew
> > --
> > Building an operation system without source code,
> > is like buying a  self assemble space shuttle without
> > instructions.
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20

------=_Part_9546_16528418.1125781573446

e it has<br>problems to safe the configuration of the panel for the both sc=
reens.<br><br>My System: IBM T40 2373-8cg with a radeon 7500 32MB(not share=
d).
FT with the resolution 1280x1024 and only the<br>external TFT, doesn't matt=
er what resolution is on the LCD of the
d only the same desktop only on LCD of<br>the laptop. After a restart of th=
e xorg and choosing an other config the<br>same desktop only on the externa=
l TFT, not more.
your<br>external TFT and close your notebook, windows recognizes, that ther=
e is<br>an externel display and switches to this with the proper (higher)
eed no Xinerama or clone mode, the only thing I want is to use the<br>exter=
nal TFT at it's highest resolution without the laptop LCD.
-08-31 at 21:00 -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:<br>&gt; On 8/31/05, Konstantin F=
iltschew &lt;
a small problem to solve. The LCD of my T40 2373-8cg has only a<br>&gt; &gt=
; small resolution 1024x768.
n: 1280x1024.<br>&gt; &gt; <br>&gt; &gt; I tried several tricks, but I can'=
t change the resolution higher then<br>&gt; &gt; 1024x768. The problem is t=
hat, I try to change the resolution on the
&gt; <br>&gt; &gt; Any Idea how to do this. I need to know how to control t=
&gt; what are you trying to acheive?  Dualhead?  Clone mode with dissimilar=
t; accomplished with the radeon driver.  However, bear in mind, that xorg
you<br>&gt; get when you start x.  if you want to change your config, you'l=
Filtschew<br>&gt; &gt; --<br>&gt; &gt; Building an operation system without=
 source code,<br>&gt; &gt; is like buying a  self assemble space shuttle wi=
thout
EGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----<br>&gt; &gt; Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)<br>&=
gt; &gt; <br>&gt; &gt; iD8DBQBDFi21xHXMYglFk4ARApk8AKCFyFWi4da3n6DLRtwyuFGc=
xbnMXgCg0ex6
re>

------=_Part_9546_16528418.1125781573446--