[ltp] Help, no sound fc4, A20m

Bert Haskins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 03 Sep 2005 23:24:34 -0400

Helen Borrie wrote:

> Bert,
> At 12:37 PM 3/09/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to set up a A20M with FC4 for a friend and everything is
>> fine except
>> no sound anywhere cd, xmms, etc.
>> I did the alsamixer thing, sound detect, cat interrupts shows CS46XX,
>> cat ioports does
>> not show anything that looks like a sound card.
>> lspci does show Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24 [CrystalClear SoundFusion
>> Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)
>> The sound does work ( fine ) when I booted up using the Dyne Bolic
>> live cd.
>>
>> I know that I'm missing something but can't find it.
>

> Don't know if this helps, as I'm still struggling a bit with sound
> myself...
>
> PIcked up the following snippets in Google:
>
> "Sound seems to be the most difficult part right now. The ThinkPad
> uses the cs461x driver available as OSS and Alsa driver. I am using
> the Alsa driver currently. To get sound at all you will need to
> disable PCI Power Management in the BIOS. The OSS Driver seems to have
> a workaround in it with poking at the ACPI area.
>
> I am using this modules.conf extension for alsa:
>
>         alias char-major-116 snd
>         alias snd-card-0 snd-card-cs461x
>         alias char-major-14 soundcore
>         alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
>         alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
>         alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
>         alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
>         alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
>         options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1
> snd_device_mode=0660 snd_device_gid=29 snd_device_uid=0
>         options snd-card-cs461x snd_index=0
> Another one:
>
> " The soundcard worked out of the box. Try "modprobe cs46xx".
>
> You may need to add the following lines to /etc/modutils/sound:
>
>   alias char-major-14 cs46xx
>   alias sound cs46xx
>
> Then do a "echo sound >> /etc/modules". Sound is now loaded
> automatically at startup.
>
> And another:
> "Steps I did:
>
> 1) Check that the card comes up as CS 4614/22/24 [CrystalClear
> SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] and uses the ALSA snd-46xx driver (not
> CS46xx)
>
> 2) Shut down any [gui setup interface] and any applications that may
> be accessing the sound driver. Make sure to check the taskbar for any
> running apps like Kmix volume level or Amarok... There's a command to
> check what apps are running, but I can't remember what it is.

top.. and it doesn't show any sound aps running

> 3) Go to [your services interface] and make sure the ALSA is running,
> if not stop and restart it. YOU MUST HAVE MADE SURE YOU DID STEP 2 OR
> YOU'LL GET AN ERROR.

Alsa is running... I can do aplay ( a *.wav file ) and it plays... dead
silent.
xmms also runs, plays all the way through the wav file also... dead silent.

> 4) open a terminal window and log in as root
>
> 5) Type "cd /sbin" to go to the sbin directory
> Type "./lsmod" to find what sound module is running. mine had
> 'snd-CS46xx 81896 7'
> Type "./modprobe -r snd-CS46xx" to remove the sound module and change
> 'snd-CS46xx' to whatever yours is from the lsmod command if necessary

This is interesting, if I do modeprobe - r snd-cs46xx
I get:
FATAL: Module snd_cs46xx is in use.
FATAL: Error running remove command for snd_cs46xx

This happens if I do it right after boot-up, top reports 2 running
and shows X, rhn-applet-gui, gnome-terminal, top , init
hald nifd show up now and then.

I think that this is ( Module snd_cs46xx is in use ) must be the problem.
Now how do I find out what is using it?

One other strange thing, if I press either the A20Ms volume up or down
buttons,
I get a speaker beep.

Thanks,
  Bert