[ltp] thinkpad t43 suspend

Mon, 5 Sep 2005 02:44:33 +0300

--U+BazGySraz5kW0T

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 02:18:38PM -0400, Steven J. Owens wrote:
>      FWIW, I see the same thing with ubuntu linux.  Asking on #ubuntu
> I'm getting the general response that suspend is very finicky and
> hardware dependent, and hibernate is much more reliable.  So for now
> I'm just using hibernate.  It's been generally good so far, though there
> were a few times when it had problems coming back.  This hasn't recurred
> much, but then I only switched to only using hibernate a week before my
> vacation started, two weeks ago, so I haven't been using it as much.  It
> did come right up out of hibernation after sitting, unplugged, for a coup=
le
> weeks.
>=20
>      I'm really very vague on this whole topic, and I wouldn't mind
> somebody clueing me in.

(Note: the answers are Ubuntu specific -- other distributions might have
different scripts in /etc/acpi.)

> Particularly, if I just close the lid, will
> it automatically go into hibernate?

No.

> How do I make it do so?

Move /etc/acpi/lid.sh out of the way and make it a symlink pointing to
hibernate.sh.

> If I use
> a key combination (fn-f12 I think) or a command to make it go into
> hibernate, and I close the lid before it finishes hibernating, am I
> messing it up, or will it carry on normally and cleanly go to sleep?

It will carry on normally.  The sleep/hibernate scripts tell the ACPI
event daemon to ignore all events until you resume.

>      I'd like it to start up faster on resume; I realize the "right"
> answer is "fix suspend and use that", but meanwhile, any advice on how
> to tweak things to make it boot and resume faster?

Can't help you there, I'm afraid.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Most security experts REALLY believe in firewalls. The expect that, when th=
ey
die, arrive at the great firewall in the sky where Saint Peter is running a
default policy of REJECT.
		--- Sander Plomp

--U+BazGySraz5kW0T

--U+BazGySraz5kW0T--