[ltp] Ethernet oddness

Tue, 06 Sep 2005 02:59:19 +0100

Dear All,

This is weird. My (previously working) ethernet port on the laptop keeps
dropping out.

Symptom: while running a ping of a (reliable) server, after about 3
minutes, the ping just stops being returned.
I am still seeing a constant green LED and a flashing yellow one on the
back of the port. ifplugstatus reports "link beat detected".

If I unplug the LAN cable from the wall, and then plug it back again
after about 3 seconds, the ping re-starts. Then, after another few
minutes, the connection dies again.

The problem isn't at the other end (it works fine if I use a
usb-ethernet adaptor), and it isn't the port/cable. The same thing
happens if I use a port-replicator or the TP itself.

Any ideas? Is this dud hardware in the TP, or could there possibly be a
software reason for it?

Thanks for your help,

Richard

P.S. I did mention this a week ago, but I concluded wrongly that it was
a defective switch. I'm seeing the same problem again with a completely
different network.