[ltp] Ethernet oddness (and fix) [Affects A-series, with 2.6 kernel]

Tue, 06 Sep 2005 12:14:57 +0100

Martin Samuelsson wrote:

>>Can anyone else confirm this? The solution seems to be to load the e100 module instead.
>
> I can only tell that I once experienced similar problems when using both
> the wired and the wireless interface at the same time. However, for me
> it was the wireless module that needed reloading once a minute.
>
> That isn't much help, and the fact that google can't find my posts about
> the problem is even less. :/
> --
> /Martin

Thanks you for that. I *think* that I fixed it by applying the
suggestion here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2004/11/msg00264.html

Basically, rmmod the eepro100 module, and load the e100 module instead.

So...

1)Is this a common problem for owners of A-series laptops with the
inbuilt ethernet/modem
(pro 10/100 SP mobile combo adapter FRU06P3809)  ?

2)If this really is a kernel bug, what should I do about it?

3)Can anyone tell me the right way to over-ride the hardware
auto-detection, and load the e100 module at boot time instead?

Thanks,

Richard