[ltp] Ethernet oddness (and fix) [Affects A-series, with 2.6 kernel]

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 07:48:54 -0400

On Tuesday 06 September 2005 07:14, after a long battle with technology,
Richard Neill wrote:
> Martin Samuelsson wrote:
> >>Can anyone else confirm this? The solution seems to be to load the
> >> e100 module instead.
> > I can only tell that I once experienced similar problems when using
> > both the wired and the wireless interface at the same time.
> > However, for me it was the wireless module that needed reloading
> > once a minute.
> Basically, rmmod the eepro100 module, and load the e100 module
> instead. So...
> 1)Is this a common problem for owners of A-series laptops?

Yes, I had a similar problem with my A22p when I started using the 2.6
series.

> 2)If this really is a kernel bug, what should I do about it?

ISTR reading something about the eepro100 module being deprecated.
Can't remember where this was or the exact wording of the statement.

> 3)Can anyone tell me the right way to over-ride the hardware
> auto-detection, and load the e100 module at boot time instead?

This is distro-dependent.  If your /etc/modules.conf is generated at
boot time, go edit /etc/modules.d/whatever and add the line
   alias eth0 e100
...if modules.conf is static, then just edit it and change "alias eth0
eepro100" to "alias eth0 e100".  If you're using something like
Knoppix, I don't know exactly what you'd do.

--
   Stupidity got us into this mess--why can't it get us out?