[ltp] 2.6 kernel kills the CPU fan

Helen Borrie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 08 Sep 2005 02:00:20 +1000

Hello all,

I'm trying to track down a solution on my TP390E to a problem that seems
rife:  that Linux causes the CPU fan to stop as soon as you begin to boot
the OS.  I see the problem described over and over and can't find a
definitive solution for it.  The fan itself whirrs away noiseless when it
does go, i.e. during the POST and right up to the moment you hit an option
in the bootloader menu.  Visually it looks clean, no sign of dust, spiders,
noodles, goldfish or dragons.

I even took the drastic step of installing Windows 98 -- aaargh! -- and the
fan didn't skip a beat.  Now I have a fresh install of Mdk 10.1 and I'm
back at Square One.

So - my question is - has anyone ever found a definitive solution for
it?  It does seem as if it might be an ongoing bug for the 2.6 kernel;  but
maybe it's just that Google delivers the more recent hits first. I'll keep
searching but I'd be pleased to hear from anyone who knows the answer.

I saw a posting where someone "cured" the problem by setting "Never shut
down CPU fan" in the BIOS program.  Unfortunately, it wasn't a Thinkpad
(the problem seems to affect quite a range of notebooks and also some AT
systems).  My TP's BIOS program doesn't give that option.

thks
Helen