[ltp] X30 + 2.6.13 + APM == broken suspend/resume... help?

Karl Klashinsky linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 07 Sep 2005 09:53:51 -0700

On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 18:17, Richard Neill wrote:
> Karl Klashinsky wrote:
> > Note, my X30 is one of the earlier models, with an i830 graphics chip
> > (i.e., no radeon chipset in this one).
> >
> > I'm sure I'm not running ACPI... I disabled ACPI during the kernel
> > build, and there is no /proc/acpi after boot.
> >
> > The suspend works fine, box goes nicely to sleep (fans, disk, screen,
> > etc, all power down), then my little "moon" light comes on.
> >
> > The resume starts out ok, the screen comes back to life, disk spins up,
> > screen gets redrawn... then it freezes.
>
> I guess this is the usual problem.

I had thought so, too, but apparently not.

>  Basically:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> #you must be root to do this, or setuid root.
> chvt 1
> sync
> kill -STOP `pidof X`
> apm -s
> #It is now in suspend
> #Now we have woken up
> kill -CONT `pidof X`
> sync
>

> You may find that the chvt suffices without the kill -STOP.
>
> Let me know if it helps.

Nope.  Same problem, with and without the "kill".

Note, I know people have encountered this problem with the radeon card
in various models, but this is the first time I've heard of this problem
with the i830 chipset -- there are other issues with the i830, yes, but
not the "freeze box on resume".

Oh, and one other "data point"... something appears to be going on an
infinite loop, because about 10 secs after coming back from suspend (and
after it appears to "freeze up"), the fan kicks on at full speed, and
stays on.

FWIW, I've gone back to 2.6.12.3, and everything is just fine: APM
suspend/resume, swsusp, etc.

I'll be trying the -mm patch-set to see if that resolves the issue.

--
klash        |       |        Mitchell's Law of Committees:
            .|.     .|.       Any simple problem can be made