[ltp] 2.6 kernel kills the CPU fan

Bert Haskins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 08 Sep 2005 09:43:58 -0400

Helen Borrie wrote:

> [...]
Normal behavior on all of my 390s is that the fan starts up about 4 seconds
after pushing the on switch.
It runs until post is completed and then stops at the beep.
I think that this is normal for most if not all TPs
as this is post checking the fan.

>>> And, yes, the machine is getting hot enough to put itself into
>>> suspend (which one can't get out of) and to not want to complete
>>> POST when rebooted after doing this.  I seem to get about 30 minutes
>>> "life" before this happens;  and need about 10 mins for cool-down.

If I run memtest-86 the fan will go on after several ( well over ten )
minutes and then cycle off for a few minutes
 and then back on for a few minutes for as long as the test is run.

>>> The bottom of the case feels hand-hot when this occurs (i.e. about
>>> 60-65 Celcius)

Its normal for the bottom of the case to feel very warm even while the
fan is doing it's
cycling thing.
I have never had a shut down while doing this ( except for memory chip
problems ) even though
memtest will work the cpu harder that just idling at the prompt.
I also have never had a shutdown even when compiling a kernel.
So I think that you must have some other problem.
Have you run a memory test program?
If so, does it start showing a bunch of errors just before the 390 shuts
down?

The next test is to have the TP on it's side with the memory cover off
and a
fan blowing on the memory chips.
I have seen plenty of heat-sensitive memory chips in both desktops and
laptops.
Some of these will run fine for over an hour and then head for the pits.