[ltp] battery update

FeRD linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 08 Sep 2005 11:12:00 -0400

Do you actually have a 72W power supply for your T22? I bought mine
used, and it was supplied to me (I discovered) with a 56W IBM power
supply. Apparently the 56W unit will power the ThinkPad fine, but it
sure did a number on my battery. (Also explains why the battery I
received the laptop with was a complete brick, I bet.)

I actually want to try and rebuild the brick-battery (ala the iPod
battery rebuild projects that people have talked about on various
more-guts-than-money websites), since I have a spare which is still
minimally functional and the brick is effectively dumpster-fodder as is.
But I'd need a 72W power supply to avoid killing the rebuild, or there's
no point to the project. Plus, to be honest, I just can't figure out how
to get the damn thing open! I peeled off all the label stickiness on the
underside, and I'm still trying to figure out where to pry/push/poke to
get it to pop apart. I was hoping for hidden screws under the label, but
apparently it's strictly a snap-together job. I'm sure IBM intended it
to be a one-way assembly. You'd think they'd have planned for me! (Or
maybe they did...) ;)

If anyone's ever gotten a Txx-style battery open and knows the secret
password, please let me know! :)

-FeRD