[ltp] Power connector on X20

Neil Caunt linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:53:42 +0100

Hi Richard,

> > First - check the obvious: is it the cable to the power supply which is
> > internally fractured? (you probably need to test under load - at least =
> > few mA in case it's a hairline).
>=20
> You know, I was absolutely sure the psu was fine... but it turns out I
> was well and truly wrong ;)

It turns out that the connector on the power supply had worked itself
loose, but that has now been fixed. Unfortunately, this is not the
root cause of the problem.

When the adapter is plugged into the system, the power light
illuminates for a fraction of a second and then goes out. I've checked
the voltage across the pins of the connector on the base of the
motherboard and it's OK, but the system will not power on. Also, there
is a faint but audible click eminating from somewhere on the board
when the supply is connected.

Could this be indicative of a hairline fracture, or perhaps something
more sinister?

Cheers,
Neil