[ltp] Power connector on X20

James Knott linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:13:48 -0400

Neil Caunt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently my X20's power connector has been a bit fragile (i.e. nudging
> the cable will break the connection), and it finally gave up the ghost
> yesterday. I can't power/charge the laptop with the AC adapter now at
> all.
>
> I can get power for a fraction of a second by wiggling the connector
> in the socket, but nothing more. I'm way out of warranty and now have
> the system in bits to see if I can effect a repair. Connections to the
> socket look OK, but I'm no expert in this.
>
> Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of this issue they could share?

There could be three likely causes.  Bad connector on adapter, bad
connector or solder connection in computer or possibly dirty contacts.
The last is the easyist to fix, so get some contact cleaner spray and
see if that fixes things.  If not, try to determine if it's the
connector on the adapter or the computer that's failing.  You may be
able to determine this, with a little creative wiggling of the adapter
connector, while it's plugged into the computer.  If the adapter
connector has failed, it's an easy fix, with a replacement connector.  A
bad connector in the computer will require a trip to a service shop or
competent technicial.  The adapter connector should be replacable by
anyone who's capable of soldering small wires and knows enough about
electricity to check the polarity before and after replacing the connector.