[ltp] Wine and Windows XP

Wed, 14 Sep 2005 01:31:52 +0100

Hector Socas Navarro wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>     I'm trying to make wine run some of my windows applications, such as
> powerpoint or stellarium. I've heard so many good comments about wine
> that I suspect it must be able to run at least the most common
> applications.

I've found wine to be a bit of a black art. Sometimes, older versions
work better than the latest release. (Not always, though). Also, the
official packages often work better than the distro-versions. Sometimes,
you are best off to compile by yourself. That said, it does usually work
- after some fiddling.

Older Windows apps are often more stable than newer ones.

The crossover-office version is non-free, but you can try a demo version
- and this is guaranteed to run powerpoint.

Alternatives:

* Stellarium exists natively for Linux

* MS make a free Powerpoint *viewer* which may be easier to install.

* Copy your windows partition, and boot it under linux with Qemu/KQemu.

Regards,

Richard