[ltp] MergedFB, docking and T42

Lars Roland linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 14:01:16 +0200

Hi all

In order to be able to use a external screen as well as the internal
lcd I have applied the mergedfb setup as described here:

http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Additional_options_for_the_radeon_driver#External=
_Monitors

I all works beatifully when used with the VGA output on the laptop,
but it does not work when inserted into a dock (I have tried both
thinkpad replicator II and the minidock). - The only way to get t
working in the docking station is to boot the laptop into X before
inserting it, which is not that handy (i.e. I dualboot and shifting
from Windows to Linux will then require me to undock the latptop)

The strange thing is that /proc/acpi/ibm/video contains the following
when opened from within X:

------------------------------
 status:         supported
  lcd:            disabled
  crt:            disabled
  dvi:            disabled
 auto:           enabled
------------------------------

but when opened from a console (i.e. ctrl+alt+F1 )it correctly contains:

------------------------------
 status:         supported
  lcd:            enabled
  crt:            enabled
  dvi:            disabled
 auto:           enabled

It should also be noted that executing Fn+F7 has no effect in X (same
goes for: echo "video_switch" > /proc/acpi/ibm/video). Both do however
work from the console. Note that the rest of the fn keys works both in
X and Console.

Any feedback will be appriciated. I am using kernel 2.6.14rc1 (full
acpi, no apm) and Xorg 6.8.99-r15 (BIOSHotkeys set to on)

Regards.

Lars Roland