InputDevices (was: Re: [ltp] performance with X.org - radeon 7500 T41)

Wolfgang Karall linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:14:19 +0200

Hello!

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 15:32 +0200, Michael Olbrich wrote:
> Your kernel needs CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV for /dev/input/*

Speaking of evdev, synaptics etc. I wonder whether anyone has an idea
how to set up the input devices for Xorg in a really useful way.

The touchpad is easy:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Touchpad"
        Driver          "synaptics"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/event1"
        Option          "Protocol"              "event"
        Option          "SHMConfig"             "true"
EndSection

But the trackpoint in combination with an external USB mouse gives me
troubles. ATM I'm using:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Trackpoint"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mouse1"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
        Option          "EmulateWheel"          "true"
        Option          "EmulateWheelButton"    "2"
        Option          "XAxisMapping"          "6 7"
        Option          "YAxisMapping"          "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "External USB Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mouse2"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "false"
        Option          "EmulateWheel"          "false"
EndSection

That works, as long as the USB mouse is connected when the X-server
starts. If not I get the line

(EE) External USB Mouse: cannot open input device

which is not really suprising. Unfortunately hotplugging the USB mouse
doesn't work with this setup either.

OTOH, using the unified mouse device /dev/input/mice the hotplugging
works just fine, but then both devices get the same configuration. I
also played around with the "Dev Phys" and "Protocol" "evdev" options
for the mouse driver, but I can't get both "distinct configuration" and
"hotplugging" working at the same time.

Any ideas?

Regards
WK