[ltp] Re: Wet AC adaptor

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 15:02:56 +1000

Bert Haskins <bhaskins@chartermi.net> writes:
> Richard Neill wrote:
>> Daniel Pittman wrote:
>>> Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Do watch out - the output ratings have changed, usually upwards, over
>>> time.  Plug compatible doesn't always make it safe.  Check the output
>>> voltage, current, etc, instead.

[...]

> ?????? I have over eight TP adapters all of which are 16 volts at
> current ratings from 3.36 to 4.5 amps.  They seem to run eveything
> that IBM has made since the 760.

Is that "seem to run" as in you plug the adapter in and the machine
works?

You see, the great thing about running electrical systems past their
capacity is that they (a) usually have headroom, just in case, and
(b) they don't just stop, they do odd things.

It could be perfectly safe to run your higher draw computer on the lower
power adapter, or you could hit trouble when you run at full draw...

...or, you could slowly melt the inside of the power brick, until it
fails.  Maybe, if you get really lucky, you can even get it hot enough
that it catches fire.

While those happen, though, sure - your laptop will work.  Power gets
there, around the right levels, and everything seems fine.

Power is tricky, and running things above the rating *does* usually
work.  This is why you also get away with plugging three or four full
power boards off a single 10 amp wall socket:

Usually, the line in the wall, the fuses, and everything have enough
capacity to run all the equipment.  Usually.  Unless they go wrong, and
blow fuses, or catch fire, or deliver electrical surges, or...

Seriously, folks:  running electrical equipment off under-rated power
supplies is really dangerous.  If things go wrong, they go very badly
wrong.

Just don't do it, even if it "seems to run" just fine.

     Daniel