[ltp] Z Series

Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:30:20 -0400

On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 17:46 +0100, Honey wrote:

> But, you know, I used to talk a lot about the durability of
> thinkpads: before my thinkpad, I owned quite a few Dells, and bits of
> the casing always broke.  But I'm disappointed to report that the
> same's happening on my T40, and I'd be very interested if any others
> have the same problem.  Specifically:

For me, the hardware problems I have experienced with Thinkpads are (and
I use mainly X series and a few older ones):

* Weak display hinges (X series, 570E, 240)
* Clearance between trackpoint and display - trackpoint can cause screen
damage (X series)
* Display latches breaking or otherwise malfunctioning (almost every
Thinkpad seems to do this eventually - luckily they have *two* hinges so
the screen still gets held down)
* PCMCIA slot problems - silly "coin slot" design where small objects
can get in but not out, slots dying for no apparent reason
* Display cables work themselves loose too easily (770, 240)
* Keyboard lettering wearing off (240, X series)  I prefer keyboards
that aren't black-on-black. :)

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <charletiv@gmail.com>
*  Web: http://www.rickandpatty.com