[ltp] Z Series

Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 22 Sep 2005 20:14:55 -0400

On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 09:11 +1200, Christopher Sawtell wrote:

> OK Here's my litany of ThinPad problems ( R40 - DoB 3 March 2003 )
> Three of the little rubber feet have fallen off.

I forgot about that.  It's happened on a few of my TP systems, but it's
not a big deal to just go to a hobby store,  buy some stick-on feet, and
trim them to match the spot where the old foot was.

That's a feature.  *%@$ spring-loaded "coin catcher" doors ...

> The top has cracked right through near the left hand hinge about a centimetre
> in from the cut-off corner. I'm quite annoyed about this as I fear for the
> display panel. Anybody got any ideas about a suitable glue and disassembly
> instructions for the lid/display?

Heck, I'd like to know about the glue, too.  I have a 570E with a case
crack above the PCMCIA slots (seems to be the Achilles heel for this
model).  Some of that "plastic-weld" epoxy, perhaps?

> The basic design is absolutely lovely.
> I'd quite like a dark racing green or navy blue outside. ( Small pot of paint
> from same colour batch to fix scratches please ). No change from the ebony
> black inside. A friend has an el-cheapo R50e which is a yuccky grey. No
> Thanks!

I'm using a JVC MP-XV641 as my main laptop these days, and it's nice and
black on the inside.  It almost makes me think I'm using a Thinkpad. :)
I've almost considered painting the outside  black - silver/light grey
shows blemishes too much.

> Lenovo have changed the
> shape of the TrackPoint which has effectively de-sexed the machines. What a
> bunch of prudes!

How does one change the shape of a Trackpoint?

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <charletiv@gmail.com>
*  Web: http://www.rickandpatty.com