[ltp] Z Series

Christopher Sawtell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 15:06:33 +1200

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:14, Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 09:11 +1200, Christopher Sawtell wrote:
> > OK Here's my litany of ThinPad problems ( R40 - DoB 3 March 2003 )
> > Three of the little rubber feet have fallen off.
>
> I forgot about that.  It's happened on a few of my TP systems, but it's
> not a big deal to just go to a hobby store,  buy some stick-on feet, and
> trim them to match the spot where the old foot was.
That's a good idea!

> > The door to the PCMCIA slot has fallen off.
>
> That's a feature.  *%@$ spring-loaded "coin catcher" doors ...
:-) Yes, it must be a right pain if you have a small child who likes getting
the parent stirred up.

> > The top has cracked right through near the left hand hinge about a
> > centimetre in from the cut-off corner. I'm quite annoyed about this as I
> > fear for the display panel. Anybody got any ideas about a suitable glue
> > and disassembly instructions for the lid/display?
>
> Heck, I'd like to know about the glue, too.  I have a 570E with a case
> crack above the PCMCIA slots (seems to be the Achilles heel for this
> model).  Some of that "plastic-weld" epoxy, perhaps?
That too is a good idea, but I was wondering if there was some "List Wisdom"
on the subject?

> > The basic design is absolutely lovely.
> > I'd quite like a dark racing green or navy blue outside. ( Small pot of
> > paint from same colour batch to fix scratches please ). No change from
> > the ebony black inside. A friend has an el-cheapo R50e which is a yuccky
> > grey. No Thanks!
>
> I'm using a JVC MP-XV641 as my main laptop these days, and it's nice and
> black on the inside.  It almost makes me think I'm using a Thinkpad. :)
> I've almost considered painting the outside  black - silver/light grey
> shows blemishes too much.
>
> > Lenovo have changed the
> > shape of the TrackPoint which has effectively de-sexed the machines. What
> > a bunch of prudes!
>
> How does one change the shape of a Trackpoint?
It's no longer a nice little domed .... well need i say?
They have made it larger with a flat top so it's more like a small flat-topped
bright red toad-stool. Doubtless highly poisonous. :-)

--
CS