[ltp] Z Series

Sean O Sullivan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 15:03:46 +0100

Honey wrote:
> Do others find IBM service very often take the default option of
> assuming customer damage and warning you you'll have to pay, unlike
> experience with previous vendors, who generally didn't?  Maybe it's
> just UK call centres.
> Honey

Contacted IBM support twice, was not overly impressed...
Live in Ireland, and they seem to be confused as to the status of the
Irish center - since IBM do have a presence in Ireland - so GB tech
support won't deal with me, and I only manage to get through to some
caretaker-type person when I try contact IBM Ireland...

I'm still trying to convince IBM that a corrupt EEPROM on ethernet
controller is a problem - they're trying to tell me it's ok (windows
works but reports EEPROM corrupt, Linux doesn't work, I need to
recompile drivers commenting out refs to EEPROM & manually setting
"EEPROM ok = 1" or something similar... ) and if I persist, that they do
not support Linux.
For the time being I've given up trying to reason with them - I have
another yr on warranty, so I think I'll just wait till I'm in the mood
to deal with it (after a few whiskeys some Saturday?).

Don't get me wrong however, I think the thinkpads are great, wouldn't
touch another laptop after having two (r31, t41). Only way I could fault
them would be as was mensioned previously - certain areas of the
structure do not seem 'strengtened' enough -- as in they seem to bend,
where they shouldn't? That is about only thing I can say against the
thinkpads themselves, support - well I prefer to be supplied with
abundance of manuals telling me how to fix something, and get lousey
support, compared to getting no manuals, and getting vary support
(depending on the person you get through to I find).

Regards,

Sean