[ltp] few questions to begin with an x40

Brad Langhorst linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 24 Sep 2005 08:57:52 -0400

On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 17:16 +0000, come se fosse antani wrote:

> I'm not a powermgmt-guru and I don't know where can I find a guide to
> configure this kind of stuff.
> - in order to use the x40, which is the better solution? apm or acpi?
> I mean regarding battery life, features, suspend possibility...
> - After compiling an acpi kernel, and installing the ibm-acpi modules,
> what I've to do in order to use the acpi features?
> - or: where can I find an exaustive description of the work I've to
> do?

I think acpi is the way to go on recent kernels... To get decent
performance I had to apply a patch to the radeon fb code to make it
switch to D2 mode during suspend (use google).

With acpi you must write a short script to respond to lid closure, key
presses etc.
to initiate suspend you do this
echo -n mem > /sys/power/state

You might also want to look in to a sw-suspend (which is disk based)

Have a look at the thinkpad wiki

brad