[ltp] few questions to begin with an x40

Sun, 25 Sep 2005 01:09:30 +0300

--M38YqGLZlgb6RLPS

On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 08:57:52AM -0400, Brad Langhorst wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 17:16 +0000, come se fosse antani wrote:
>=20
> > I'm not a powermgmt-guru and I don't know where can I find a guide to
> > configure this kind of stuff.
> > - in order to use the x40, which is the better solution? apm or acpi?
> > I mean regarding battery life, features, suspend possibility...
> > - After compiling an acpi kernel, and installing the ibm-acpi modules,
> > what I've to do in order to use the acpi features?
> > - or: where can I find an exaustive description of the work I've to
> > do?
>=20
> I think acpi is the way to go on recent kernels... To get decent
> performance I had to apply a patch to the radeon fb code to make it
> switch to D2 mode during suspend (use google).

I think x40 comes with an Intel graphics chip, not Radeons.  Or are
there different models?

One of my coworkers has an x40.  He uses Ubuntu and ACPI.  Ubuntu Hoary
comes with all the necessary scripts to support suspend & hibernation --
but you have to edit one config file to enable those.

> With acpi you must write a short script to respond to lid closure, key
> presses etc.
> to initiate suspend you do this
> echo -n mem > /sys/power/state

Also, I think you need to rmmod certain modules, or you'll lose USB
after resuming.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
TCP_UP - The 16-bit TCP Urgent Pointer, encoded as the hex
      representation of the value of the field.  The hex string MUST be
      capitalized since it is urgent.
		-- RFC 3093

--M38YqGLZlgb6RLPS

--M38YqGLZlgb6RLPS--