[ltp] Not amused...

Helen Borrie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 21:45:10 +1000

At 10:37 PM 27/09/2005 +1200, you wrote:
>On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 21:34, Helen Borrie wrote:
> >  ...to be hit, on my slow dialup link, with a 1.5 Mb attachment on this
> > mail list from FeRD.  This is right out of line with established mail-list
> > etiquette.  I don't want your infernal themes and you had no right to
> > assume I did.
>
>True, up to a point. The point being that you can, and should, seeing as you
>are on a slow line, set up your mail client to request your authority if it
>wants to download an attachment larger than the size you specify.
>
>I do not know if your particular MUA is able to do this but almost all modern
>unix/linux ones can. My Kmail was triggered because I have set it to 1.0
>Megabytes. Anyway what's with 1.5 Meg it's less than 10 mins on dial-up even
>when it's going half cock.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) I dream on
Linux and I earn my living on Windows.  One of the things I do is run a
large number of mail tech support lists.  We have them set up to strip
attachments.  We encourage the list subscribers to use the list's upload
area to share files.

>Your headers say:-

>I'm sure there are lots of people on the list who would be only too happy to
>help you get set up properly.

That's nice, and kind, but it's not the point I'm making.  If two people
want to share a file, it's proper netiquette for them to arrange it
point-to-point, not fill other people's bandwidth and mailboxes with
unwanted stuff.

And, btw, the *best* transfer speed I can get here (Central Coast, NSW) is
1.8 Kbps.  It's pretty "third world" here and is hell for a
telecommuter;  but I doubt it's the only place in the world with this kind
of line quality as Hobson's Choice for internet connectivity.  That's one
of the reasons why we need list protocols and netiquette.  Christopher,
when I left NZ in 1996, NZ was 30 years ahead of Australia in
telecoms.  Now it's about 40.

Anyway, getting off-topic for Thinkpads and Linux, for which I apologise.

Helen