[ltp] kubuntu breezy on a22p

Wed, 28 Sep 2005 03:51:26 +0100

Harry Mangalam wrote:
> Another single data point that may be of interest.  Due to an impending HD
> death (thank you  smartmontools!), I had to refresh my disk and took the oppo
> to update from a hash of MEPIS/vanilla Debian (which worked pretty well) to
> kubuntu, as ubuntu is the std at work.
>
> To my leery astonishment, just about everything works.  Suspend on ACPI works
> (1st time ACPI has EVER done anything except lock the system), altho it uses
> scads of power (1/4 of power gone in 2 hours - useless except for short
> transports to home - my usual usage).  But HIBERNATE also works out of the
> box - just adjusted the settings on the KDE control panel and it hibernates
> (!). First time I've EVER seen that.  And more amazing, it comes back from
> that misty place of dreams with everything intact (tho it takes a while to
> restore from disk).

I'm impressed. My A22p only works with apm, and even apm-suspend is
sometimes slightly flaky. If you get 25 successful consecutive ACPI
suspend-resume cycles without a crash, do let me know!

Incidentally, I'm guessing that hibernate here is the Linux "suspend2"
system, which is performed entirely in software and without the BIOS.

Slightly OT:
I did try a Kubuntu install this weekend, but I had to give up on it. In
this case, it was on a Mini-Itx box with a 1GB Compact Flash card as the
hard disk. Sadly, Ubuntu tried to install too-much by default, and
crashed out with disk-full before I could intervene to get a minimal
system.  Mandriva at least fits, although it has some stupid
dependencies (eg why must I have mDNSresponder and foomatic installed
just to keep rpmdrake? And why must I have CUPS installed in order to
get KDE?). Surely one should be able to fit the following into 1GB:
    Kernel + Base System + X (not broken!) + SSH
    Emacs. KDE (minimal). Xscreensaver. Firefox (+Java,Flash).
    VLC. Mplayer. Appropriate codecs. XMMS. Amarok. MythTV-frontend.

Richard