[ltp] Not amused...

cr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:04:35 +1200

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 23:45, Helen Borrie wrote:

> >I'm sure there are lots of people on the list who would be only too happy
> > to help you get set up properly.
>
> That's nice, and kind, but it's not the point I'm making.  If two people
> want to share a file, it's proper netiquette for them to arrange it
> point-to-point, not fill other people's bandwidth and mailboxes with
> unwanted stuff.
>
> And, btw, the *best* transfer speed I can get here (Central Coast, NSW) is
> 1.8 Kbps.  It's pretty "third world" here and is hell for a
> telecommuter;  but I doubt it's the only place in the world with this kind
> of line quality as Hobson's Choice for internet connectivity.  That's one
> of the reasons why we need list protocols and netiquette.  Christopher,
> when I left NZ in 1996, NZ was 30 years ahead of Australia in
> telecoms.  Now it's about 40.

It may be, but I'm still on a 56K dialup here in Auckland 'cos I can't
justify the extra cost of ADSL for my private use.

56K is adequate for most things I do - until someone posts a 1.5MB file
attachment.....

I echo Helen's thoughts.

(Right.   It just finished downloading.   Now I can hit Delete and get on
with my emails...)

cr