[ltp] IrDA, T41, Fedora Core 3 and a Palm m515

Wed, 28 Sep 2005 17:40:20 +0300

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 12:48:21AM +0200, Paul Bolle wrote:
> Has anyone been able to get IrDA running with this combination (T41,
> Fedora Core 3 and a Palm m515) or a combination sufficiently similar?=20

T23, Debian (unstable between woody and sarge), Palm m500/Tungsten T
(2.4 kernel).

T42, Ubuntu Hoary, Palm Tungsten T (2.6 kernel; haven't used IrDA much
here, as Bluetooth is more convenient).

> I've been reading just one too many friendly manual and am still stuck.=
=20
> The best so far has only been that irattach seems to be running.
> irdaping, however, hasn't even "discovered" my m515. (I'm positive that
> infrared is working on that m515.)=20

Setup:

  # setserial /dev/ttyS1 uart none port 0 irq 0

    Ignore errors, if there are any, this line is just to tell the
    serial driver to free the resources you want to assign to nsc-ircc.

  # modprobe nsc-ircc dongle_id=3D0x09 io=3D0x2f8 irq=3D3 dma=3D3

    I'm pretty sure the options are the same on all thinkpads.
    You might need to enable Infrared in the BIOS before this starts
    working.

  # irattach irda0

Test:

  # irdadump

    Try to beam a busness card from your palm to the laptop, you should
    see a bunch of activity.

    If you have IRDA discovery enabled (irattach irda0 -s or=20
    echo 1 > /proc/net/irda/discovery), you'll also see a bunch of
    packets going from your machine every few seconds.

Now, to get it configured properly, you need to edit random
configuration files: tell modprobe to alias irda0 to nsc-ircc, specify
the options for nsc-ircc, tell it to run setserial before modprobing so
that the kernel's serial driver doesn't claim the port/irq/dma
combination and prevent nsc-ircc from loading, tell irda-utils to attach
to irda0.  These configuration files are probably different on Fedora
Core, and besides, I haven't figured out how to do the modprobe
configuration magic with a 2.6 kernel yet, so I'll leave those as an
exercise for the reader.

Oh, and I assume you already know that once you've got it working, you
pass /dev/ircomm0 as the device for pilot-link to talk to, and start the
hotsync over IrDA on the Palm at more or less the same time you start
pilot-link.  pilot-link -p /dev/ircomm0 -l is a good command for testing

HTH,
Marius Gedminas
--=20
"question =3D (to) ? be : !be;" -- Shakespeare

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP--