[ltp] how to play drm WMAs (on my thinkpad)

Paul RIVIER linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:17:28 +0200

> Sure, all programs that are making sounds in windows must have their
> streams mixed before going to the Digital/Analog converter of the
> sound card. I think this combined stream is called waveout, as you can
> probably see from the volume control that controls this stream,
> whenever you lower the volume, all sounds collectively are adjusted.
> So this person's program records from this.
>
> It's similar to taking a stereo audio wire and connecting it from a
> headphone out jack and plugging it into a mic port.

so if windoz makes any sound it will be recorded as well in a mix way,
that is it ? And if not it is okay ?
I think that only the player can deal with any dedicated canal, and i am
pretty sure that win media player can not do that. So I would suggest to
avoid the use of any other application while copying :)
Or maybe one can run this ms player in wine and deal with unix streams,
but i am not sure.

about the quality, i have several suggestions :
- except for the website given where you pay by kB downloaded, I think
that if your broadband is big enought you can pay for music in the best
quality available. Then re-compressed file should be the quality you like.
- i will try to uncompress / recompress an ogg and listen to the
difference. i am not sure it is that big, but i must try before :)
- what do you prefer : drm with slighly better quality or non-drm ? :)

paul