[ltp] Re: IrDa and double boot WinXP/Linux problem

Chris Schumann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:04:48 -0500 (CDT)

> From: Harry Popov <lz1bb@mail.bg>

> I have T600X with double boot Win XP and SuSe 9.1 Personal. Every time
> after  booting XP my infrared is not working under Linux. I have to
> enter bios and  initialize hardware to be able to enable the infrared
> port. Every thing works  fine until I boot again Win XP. After that no
> IrDa under Linux again, the  device is disabled:

IIRC, the 600X has a Quick Boot option in the BIOS. Turn that OFF, so the
BIOS will assign hardware properties to devices before the OS does. XP
will reassign the IO addresses and IRQs as it sees fit if that option is
on, and they could well be different than what Linux saw after a fresh
boot.

You may have to deal with XP finding "new" hardware because the devices
are in different memory locations, but that should only happen once.