[ltp] Re: Question on ifplugd and ACPI suspend

Shannon McMackin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:30:06 -0400

Wolfgang Karall wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 16:03 +0000, Bob Alexander wrote:
>
>>I am only trying to see if technology can help me with my behaviour and
>>not the other way around :)
>

> Tell me when that works when it comes to anything computer-related.
>

>>This is what happens now (time expressed in seconds):
>
> [ a day in the life ]
>
> Seems you're a busy man indeed. ;)
>

>>Given this habit it is difficult that I might remember unconnecting the
>>TP and wait for ifplugd to declare the network dead before suspending.
>

> It's not at suspend time you need to remember anything, but at resume
> time just "forget" to connect the cable instantly but wait a second (or
> whatever you configure ifplugd to wait for detecting the link as down).
>
> As I said, works for me. But as a one-man-business I don't have a
> secretary, so maybe that changes everything. ;)
>
> Regards
> WK
Bob's problem is that he uses a Dock in both locations.  When he wakes
up, he's plugged in..

How about downing the interface at hibernate, but not bringing it up
until you completely wake up.  You may need to disable ifplugd to get
your desired result.

NetworkManager may be a better solution for you than ifplugd.

It's available in FC4 and Ubuntu that I know of.

Shannon