[ltp] Which Thinkpad to get

Paul Kaplan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 18:27:13 -0400

On Thursday 29 September 2005 05:25 pm, Nigel Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> My beloved 600E has been commandeered by my wife but I've been granted
> permission to purchase another machine for myself. With the cash available
> I'm looking at a 600X (650MHz) or perhaps a T22. The T22 is faster but I've
> never seen one let alone played with one. Does anyone know how they compare
> or have any other suggestions.
>
> Cheers
> Nigel

Depends what you want.
I've successfully installed Mandrake/iva Linux from 7.0 -> 10.2 on a 600,
600x, R40, and T40.  (I did have some video anomolies on the 600x, which I
never took the time to resolve.)
Personally I like the T40/41/42/42 series as they are truly mobile work
horses.  The R40 is a nice sucessor to the older T2x series, but in my
opinion more of a desktop replacement (kinda heavy).
The X40/41s are ultralights if that's your goal.
HTH
Paul