[ltp] Z Series

Jon Dowland linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:04:25 +0100

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 03:51:03PM -0600, Alejandro Bonilla Beeche
wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 09:15 +1200, Christopher Sawtell wrote:
> > On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 06:44, Bram van Leur wrote:
> > > Furthermore I'm surprised that a *new* series still is branded IBM
> > > instead of Lenovo.
> > I'm not, because Lenovo bought the brand and trade mark "IBM
> > ThinkPad" as part of the deal.
> They can use the name for 5 more years.

Indeed, I doubt IBM would have shifted the thinkpad otherwise: with such
a strong link between Thinkpad and IBM, any company interested in buying
it would have to have a long-term plan to adopt the brand properly. Even
convincing on-line vendors to change all their catalogues to replace IBM
with Lenovo will probably take most of that time :)

--
Jon Dowland
http://jon.dowland.name/