[ltp] T30 Serial Port

Fri, 30 Sep 2005 19:36:17 +0200

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 05:47:10 -0500, wes schreiner wrote:

[...]

> Maybe. tpctl might be able to do it. Looking at the tpctl home page
> <http://tpctl.sourceforge.net/> doesn't say one way or the other, you
> would have to try it. Another possibility is to use setpnp to change the
> resource settings. That would work with a 2.6 kernel, but you would need
> a patched 2.4 kernel to have pnp support. The changes made by tpctl only
> last until the next reboot. With setpnp you have the option of making a
> temporary change that reverts on reboot, or making a permanent change.

Ah, right, I already used setpnp on my old 765L a few years ago.

> I don't know how much battery life one can gain by shutting off the
> ports. I think larger gains would come from spinning down the hard drive
> sooner and running noflushd to delay spinning up the hard drive. Also if
> one mounts the drive(s) with the noatime option then spin up will happen
> less often. I've done all the above on my lowly ThinkPad 600E but I
> don't run off the battery enough to really notice how much any of these
> tweaks help. You would have to try things out on your T23 and see what
> happens.

I already clock down the CPU, start noflushd and remount all the ext3
partitions with a journal commit interval of 20000 seconds to get nice
HD spin down times, but I'm always looking for other ways to save a few
percent of battery power.

Regards,
Tino