[ltp] Anyone w/ working T60 suspend/resume?

Klaus Weidner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 3 Apr 2006 17:04:30 -0500

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 09:05:09AM +0200, Felix E. Klee wrote:
> OK, seems like a T60 is not an option for us at all anymore.

It's definitely very bleeding edge at the moment, but not as bad as my
T40 had been back when it was new...

> Already the Radeon X1000 series graphics chips are not very well
> supported (only VESA), and there seems to be no free driver in sight -
> unfortunately, Thinkpads don't come with NVidia chips.

The VESA driver works fine for typical 2d apps, and the machine is fast
enough to do fullscreen video without hw acceleration, so it's not too
bad.  I miss my dualhead setup though.

> At Mon, 3 Apr 2006 00:22:04 -0500, Klaus Weidner wrote:
> > (I haven't had a chance yet to try the SUSE 10.1 beta 8 which Aaron
> > Mulder reported as working.)
>
> Beware: Aaron did *not* report it working with APM, only with ACPI.  And
> with ACPI he was only able to get suspend to disk working, not suspend
> to RAM.

You're right, I should have phrased that differently. Personally, I don't
much care if it's using ACPI or APM as long as it works, and suspend to
disk would be sufficient to avoid constant reboots. Why do you want APM
specifically? I thought it was obsolescent these days.

I think the disk spin up issue on RAM resume sounds fixable, but so far I
haven't seen any updates on the open bugs.

-Klaus