[ltp] Aggressive battery diagnostics on T42p, should I return these?

Paul RIVIER linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 05 Apr 2006 21:11:10 +0200

hi

> Yes and no:
> With the open-source radeon driver you can only modifiy the
> frequencies of  the core and memory chip.
>
> The closed-source driver shuts down parts of the chip (cuts them from
> power), modifies the core/mem-voltage and frequency. It's way more
> efficent to use closed-source.

Do you have figures to show that in practice ?  Last year when I
received my T42 I spent about a month to tweak everything to reach to
lowest power consumption, so I compared the open-source power management
AND the closed-source one. At least with no use of Dri on the desktop,
doing classic tasks, I did not notice any difference in power
consumption. And by the way shame on ati for their closed source driver
... I prefer the free one even with no DRI.

Paul