[ltp] Anyone w/ working T60 suspend/resume?

Klaus Weidner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 20:30:07 -0500

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 07:11:55PM +0200, Felix E. Klee wrote:
> At Mon, 3 Apr 2006 17:04:30 -0500,
> Klaus Weidner wrote:
> > > OK, seems like a T60 is not an option for us at all anymore.
> >
> > It's definitely very bleeding edge at the moment, but not as bad as my
> > T40 had been back when it was new...
>
> We need a machine that runs well with LINUX, *now*.  Rationale: I will
> set up the machine for someone else, *once*.

Then I can't recommend it - it'll be some time before things like suspend
to RAM work smoothly, and there isn't even a timeframe yet for a real
driver for the video card. If you're not willing to upgrade and
experiment a bit it's not the system for you at this time.

> Also: The keyboard on the T60 doesn't seem to be as great as that on the
> T43 (Windows keys!).

I disagree, I like the keyboard better than the one on my T40. The keys
are a bit stiffer and more precise. It's still not as good as the one on
the 600X though which was perfect. Note that apparently there are two
separate manufacturers for the keyboard, so there may be differences due
to that.

The Windows and Menu keys can be useful, you can configure them for extra
shortcuts without interfering with any other software, for example for
the window manager, or as "Super" and "Hyper" keys in Emacs.

The touchpad is now smaller, more precise, and further away from the
upper mouse buttons, so I haven't been hitting it accidentally and have
actually kept it enabled for a change.

-Klaus